Friday, November 5, 2010

Soup Swap

This week I held my first ever Soup Swap, and what a fun time it was! Every year when the weather turns cool and we spend more time indoors, my meal planning quickly shifts from grilling, salads, and all things "cool," to casseroles, crusty breads, and yummy soups! So when Annie told me about a Soup Swap her friend Lindsey held, I immediately knew this was something I wanted to try. Though somewhat disappointed that so many of those I invited couldn't make it, it was well worth doing, even with only five guests!

Each guest was asked to bring six quarts of frozen soup in six individual containers, along with the recipe. Upon arrival, all of the soups were displayed on a table with cards identifying them. After a short time of socializing with wine, cheese, and crackers; we assembled around the table for the "telling of the soup." Each cook told something special or unique about her soup - anything from mentioning a special ingredient, to where they got the recipe, or why it is so delicious. Annie's friend Lindsey came to my party, so I awarded her a prize for "stealing" her idea! Jorie won the prize for the "best soup story," and then the remaining names were put into a basket and the final prize given to Annie, whose name was drawn. (Just coincidence that my two daughters each won a prize!) Soups and recipes were exchanged, and after a little more socializing, each guest went home with six new soups to stock her freezer with. I also gave each one a bag of Dill Seasoned Oyster Crackers as a party favor. Six special meals ready to be heated up and enjoyed on those chilly fall nights to come!


Lindsey, Annie, Bridget, and Jorie talking over wine and cheese.

Annie, Lindsey, and Bridget (the Iowa City girls)


Jorie, me, and Annie

Me, Lindsey, Annie, Jorie, and Brenda


Bridget and I switched places for this picture


I ended up with two yummy quarts of Tortilla Soup, Thai Butternut Squash, October Bisque, Chili, and Pumpkin Black Bean. Jim and I both loved the Tortilla soup, and are looking forward to five more yummy soup meals. Mmmmm . . . soup's on!

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

I LOVE this idea! GREAT pic of you and yoru girls too!

Jorie said...

Thanks so much for hosting it, Mom! It was a very fun night, and I can't wait to try our first soup tomorrow! :)