Thursday, August 5, 2010

Latest Project

Justin and Annie have been moving things around in their house to prepare for Baby Shoe #2. They moved to the master suite in their basement; Justin moved the office to a new space in the basement that he built/created in part of their former large laundry room; his former office has been transformed into a playroom for Claire; and Claire is now in her "big girl" room, which is Justin and Annie's former bedroom. That leaves the nursery ready for their new daughter's arrival any day now. Justin and Annie have been working madly all summer - mostly Justin, I should say - building walls, laying floors, moving furniture, enlarging closets, and now desigining and building a shed. Annie's contribution has been painting, consulting, encouraging, and keeping Claire busy while Justin works.

Somehow I got involved, too. Annie wanted new curtains for Claire's big girl room, and that's where I come in. She wanted a special style that I had sewn for them in their Chattanooga house a few years ago. I still had the pattern, so agreed to help. We went to the fabric store together and bought fabric to complement Claire's new comforter. The color scheme in the new room is hot pink, gray, and black and white. I finished the curtains about a week ago, and last Sunday afternoon Justin and I worked together to mount them on a board. So weird - the pattern is called "Jiffy Swag," but it is one of the most complicated projects I have ever done. I read and reread the directions over and over every step of the way. Then instead of a curtain rod, they are stapled to a board covered with fabric. The piping is then stapled on, too, around the edge of the board as a finishing touch. I guess the actual sewing part was "jiffy," but the measuring, cutting, and mounting were not!

The project is finally done, and we are all happy with the results! Claire's room is now done - one more thing checked off of their list!









2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are so talented, mom!! the curtains are the perfect addition to claire's new room. thanks again!! :)

Brenda said...

Adorable curtain, very cute. I made a curtain in May for our newest little one's room. That would be Andy's little girl, Allie. It was so fun to see them hung. I am sure you felt the same way.