Friday, August 14, 2009

Out of Africa, Part 5: A Different World

In reviewing my posts so far, I realized that I've only shared the touristy parts of our trip - some of the things we did and the places we went - similar to what anyone would share coming back from a vacation. But this trip provided so much more than that, and so many of the memories I have, and the pictures I see in my mind are those that involve the completely different way of life that we witnessed. The way the people dressed, the means of transportation they use, the places they shop, the way they work will stay in my mind for years to come. So in this post I will try to share with you some of what makes Africa such a unique place. I realize that Africa is a HUGE continent, and we only visited one country - Tanzania - but what I saw is much the same as what I had previously seen in books, on T.V. , or in movies. Jim and I watched a great movie the other night entitled Nowhere in Africa, about a Jewish family from Germany who emigrated to Kenya to escape the Nazis during World War II. Now the timing of this movie was what - 1947? - but so much of it reminded us of exactly what we saw last month in Tanzania in 2009! The only difference is that now everyone has a cell phone - whether they live in a modern house or a mud hut! So here are some of my fav pictures of the people and "life" as we saw it.These kids live in huts behind Jason and Roxanne's house. They love to come to play on Anni's swings and write on her chalkboard.This is one of Roxanne's friends who stopped by one day to visit. Roxanne offered some of her yummy banana muffins that she keeps on hand for unexpected visitors.Jason took Jim on a walk one day to meet the neighbors who live in these huts near their house. These are similar to what we saw everywhere, though many have corrugated tin roofs rather than these thatched ones. Chickens, goats, cows are often seen roaming their yards as well Annikah enjoys their wooden carts as much as they like her swings. Roxanne explained that often older siblings will care for the younger ones as seen here.Shopping at the local "Target." You can see Jason and Roxanne to the right of the tree on the left. A cart full of goods. Most often we saw these pulled by cows, and sometimes donkeys; or if they don't own an animal, they pull the load themselves.

To be continued . . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i just loved these pictures. thanks for sharing!

Brenda said...

Great photos. I am sure it was hard to decide which ones to post.